We’re looking for a senior content strategist to serve on multidisciplinary project teams with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design.
Our teams are working to improve a wide range of city services, including researching and redesigning our permitting processes, prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, building the next generation of ATXFloods, , improving services for people experiencing homelessness, and creating city-wide standards for interface design, user research, and content strategy.
You’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for other fellows and city staff.
$75,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
What you’ll do:
- Serve on multidisciplinary teams to concept, prototype, and implement content solutions for city services
- Identify and model content types for websites, applications, printed resources, and in-person transactions
- Design content production workflows and documentation based on the needs of stakeholders and department staff
- Develop and maintain appropriate voice for produced content
- Guide and coach team members and stakeholders on content strategy and writing for the web, especially colleagues who are taking on new tasks and roles
- Pursue continuing engagement with internal and external users, and participate in planning thoughtful and ethical user research
- Participate in establishing standards for services across the city to improve usability, comprehension, and efficiency
- Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve
- Share what we make and how we make it through community meetings, blog posts, and other functions
- Serve as a subject matter expert in the hiring process for additional Design, Technology, and Innovation Fellows
What we’re looking for
- 3+ years of professional experience designing content for online experiences, websites, applications, or advertising
- Experience in delivery of content strategy documentation, such as content inventories and audits, gap analysis, voice and tone guidelines, metadata and search strategies, content templates, and governance models
- Ability to determine what channel and content type are appropriate to meet user needs
- Knowledge of lean and agile design methodologies, including expertise in determining when and how to use specific approaches, deliverables, and facilitation methods
- Comfort implementing research findings into strategy and engaging in iterative design and rapid prototyping
- Ability to engage with a wide range of digital specialists, subject-matter experts, stakeholders, and the public to produce best-in-class solutions
- Experience analyzing and participating in qualitative user research
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the web
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services
- Two years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.
- Must upload an example of a content audit that you have created.