We’re looking for a senior visual designer to serve on multidisciplinary project teams with career civil servants, actively demonstrating the value of iterative development and user-centered design.
Our teams are working to improve a wide range of city services, including researching and redesigning our permitting processes, prototyping ways to change behaviors around recycling and composting, building the next generation of ATXFloods, and creating city-wide standards for visual design, web development, and user research.
You’ll also serve as an expert and educator in your discipline, establishing new practices that can work across departments and providing guidance and training for other fellows and city staff.
$75,000-$86,000, commensurate with experience
What you’ll do:
- Lead projects from a visual design perspective, defining look & feel, designing re-usable components, and ensuring staff members will be able to execute the design on hand-off.
- Create artifacts to communicate with team members, stakeholders, and the public, including prototypes, comps/mock-ups, sticker sheets, and functional specifications.
- Guide and coach team members and stakeholders on design methods, especially colleagues who are taking on new tasks and roles within visual design.
- Participate in establishing standards for services across the city to improve usability, accessibility, and efficiency.
- Commit to making what we build fully accessible to the people we serve.
- Work with stakeholders to assess legacy systems and identify opportunities for improved user experience and the sustainability of future systems.
- Share what we make and how we make it through meetups, blog posts, and other functions.
- Serve as a subject matter expert in the hiring process for additional Design, Technology, and Innovation Fellows.
What we’re looking for
- 4+ years of professional experience designing large-scale interfaces, experiences, and applications.
- Knowledge of designing for CMS (Content Management Systems).
- Knowledge of lean and agile design methodologies, including expertise in determining when and how to use specific approaches, deliverables, and facilitation methods.
- Successful track record working with cross-functional teams to create great products and services, with proven skills in mentoring, presenting, product management, client partnership, and visual communication.
- Knowledge of web standards and best practices related to accessibility, usability, and writing for the web.
- A passion for public service and a commitment to doing the hard work that’s necessary to improve our city services.
- 4 years of relevant work experience
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in a related field. An additional 4 years of experience can substitute this education requirement.
- Must include an example of a visual design style guide in your application.